Publisher Sega and developer Creative Assembly are teaming up again to bring us an innovative game idea: a multiplayer first-person shooter set in a sci-fi universe.
In all seriousness, the company that made Total War is jumping in the multiplayer shooter well with a game called HYENAS which will launch in 2023 and will be for PC, Xbox Series, Xbox One, PS5, PS4. Here are a few words from the game’s executive producer David Nicholson:
“We believe the key to modern shooter success is understanding what players want to see and where they want to take their experience. We know we’ve got something interesting on our hands, but we also know the odds are stacked against us. To take on the biggest games in the industry, we need to hear what players think, right up front and early. If you’re in, we want to take you along for the ride.
That’s why after today’s announcement, we’re also launching into the first of our public Alpha tests.”
Here are the game’s key features, which you can probably put at the back of the box of any FPS save the zero-G element.
- Give Zero Fs in Zero-G – Why walk when you can fly? Traverse seamlessly into zero-G zones where movement and combat take flight.
- Meet the HYENAS – A cast of memorable misfits with unique abilities and big personalities. Pick a Hyena to suit your style, whether that’s all guns blazing, or manipulating the environment to your advantage.
- Steal Iconic Merch – Yesterday’s pop culture collectibles are priceless artefacts in a post-Earth age. Steal iconic memorabilia from the Plunderships’ vaults before rival crews do.
- Become the Top Pack – Compete against other packs of players while taking down Plundership security forces. Meet your loot quota and make your escape to win.
- An Evolving Challenge – Look forward to new HYENAS joining the party and the launch of extra Plunderships with more precious merch to steal.
While it’s admirable for Creative Assembly to try something different, I’m not sure if making a multiplayer FPS in a very, VERY saturated market is the way to go. If you’re somehow interested in this and not a strategy title or even a sequel to Alien: Isolation for some strange reason, you can sign up for an alpha test session for HYENAS on PC here.