Another quarter of a year, which means a slew of rumours and leaks surrounding a number of unannounced Capcom games. This time, the focus is on the Dragon’s Dogma sequel.
According to recent 4chan leaks (via ResetEra), Dragon’s Dogma 2 will be implementing new gameplay mechanics to its action RPG template and also be running on Capcom’s proprietary game engine. Let’s break down what we know so far:
- Dragon’s Dogma 2 will be using the RE Engine, though right now the dev team is forced to choose whether to have more than 10 enemies on-screen or use sorcery spells with complex animations. Keep in mind that this game is an open-world RPG, so technical difficulties during production are expected.
- The team led by DMC’s Hideaki Itsuno is working closely with the Resident Evil developers to get advice and help optimize the game’s overall performance.
- Dragon’s Dogma 2 will feature a mechanic where your created character will be using a mask called the Phersu to hide himself/herself from enemies and pursuers. If he/she removes the mask, the game’s world will radically change and reveal them to enemies. In fact, these enemies will become stronger and more aggressive.
- Some enemies and bosses will be tougher or near-impossible to defeat if you do not have specific story-related equipment, which means you are encouraged to explore the game’s world and solve its many dungeons.
- You can sacrifice your pawn (your reliable & chatty helper in the Dragon’s Dogma series) and turn them corrupted in exchange for unique pieces of armour. This in turn can make combat bearable.
- Due to the limited availability of the PS5 and new GPUs, the game may be delayed from its initial rumoured date of Q4 2022.
Keep in mind that these rumours are from the same source that leaked Devil May Cry 5 prior to its E3 2018 reveal on Xbox’s showcase. Take them with aÂ grain of salt, but assuming they’re true, this could mean lovely changes to an already-awesome action RPG.
Dragon’s Dogma was a wonderful experience back in 2011, so it’s high time to have a sequel to this title later down the line. Plus, we need something to wash away the stink of the Netflix anime adaptation of the game.