Write what you are looking for and press enter to begin your search!
Sony Shoots Down Xbox’s Initial Offer To Keep CoD On PlayStation
CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment, Jim Ryan has come out and stated that Microsoft’s proposal for keeping Call of Duty on PlayStation consoles is “inadequate on many levels”.
Last week, Microsoft clarified their plans for the Call of Duty franchise should the Activision Blizzard acquisition go as planned. In a statement to The Verge, Xbox executive Phil Spencer stated that Microsoft plans to continue the franchise on PlayStation for “several more years” after Sony’s current marketing deal with Activision expires. During this period, Call of Duty games released for PlayStation would have “feature and content parity”, Spencer said.
While the Xbox boss claimed the offer “goes well beyond typical gaming industry agreements”, Sony’s Ryan told GamesIndustry.biz that Sony isn’t satisfied with the proposal.
“I hadn’t intended to comment on what I understood to be a private business discussion, but I feel the need to set the record straight because Phil Spencer brought this into the public forum,” Ryan said.
“Microsoft has only offered for Call of Duty to remain on PlayStation for three years after the current agreement between Activision and Sony ends.
After almost 20 years of Call of Duty on PlayStation, their proposal was inadequate on many levels and failed to take account of the impact on our gamers. We want to guarantee PlayStation gamers continue to have the highest quality Call of Duty experience, and Microsoft’s proposal undermines this principle.”
The current deal Call of Duty deal between Sony and Activision Blizzard is believed to cover this year’s Modern Warfare 2 and Warzone 2, and a new game from Black Ops developer Treyarch, which may not arrive until 2024. Microsoft’s deal to acquire Activision Blizzard is currently being scrutinised by regulators concerned about potential antitrust issues during a time of increasing consolidation in the gaming industry.
Last week, the UK’s Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) said its inquiry into the merger might be expanded due to outstanding concerns, most notably the impact the deal could have on Sony‘s ability to compete.
“PlayStation currently has a larger share of the console gaming market than Xbox, but the CMA considers that Call of Duty is sufficiently important that losing access to it (or losing access on competitive terms) could significantly impact Sony’s revenues and user base,” it said.
“This impact is likely to be felt especially at the launch of the next generation of consoles, where gamers make fresh decisions about which console to buy. The CMA believes that the Merger could, therefore, significantly weaken Microsoft’s closest rival, to the detriment of overall competition in console gaming.”
The CMA said Microsoft and Activision Blizzard have until September 8 to submit proposals addressing its concerns, and that if suitable bids are not received then the deal will be referred for further investigation.