Sonic Origins will be out tomorrow on 23 June and will feature all four classic Sonic titles from the Sega Megadrive/Genesis/Sega CD/Mega CD. And just like the original games, they have level select codes for you to bypass stages you’ve already played back then.
However, the codes have different inputs and feature different rewards if you enter them. Here they are.
Disclaimer: all inputs are using the PlayStation controller
Sonic Origins: Sonic The Hedgehog/Sonic 1 Level Select Code
On the title screen, as soon as the “Press Button” appears, enter the following: Up, Down, Left Right. You will hear a ring chime. Then press Square (X on Xbox, Y on Switch).
You will now be on the level select screen. You will also gain access to the following options:
- Player – Choose which character to play as. 01 is Sonic, 02 is Tails, 03 is Knuckles and 00 is Sonic and Tails together.
- Spindash – Turn on or off the spindash move (Down + Jump) introduced in Sonic 2.
- Gnd Spd Cap – Turn on or off a speed cap for Sonic when he’s on the ground.
- Air Spd Cap – Turn on or off a speed cap for Sonic when he’s in the air.
- S1 Spikes – Turn on or off the Sonic 1 spikes rule. If it’s on, Sonic will die if he hits spikes then bounces onto another set of spikes.
- Items – Change the Sonic 1 items for Sonic 2 or Sonic 3 items (such as the fire, electricity and bubble shields).
- Max Emeralds – choose whether the game requires you to collect 6 or 7 Chaos Emeralds.
Sonic Origins: Sonic The Hedgehog 2 Level Select Code
When the words “Press Button” appear, enter the following: Up, Up, Up, Down, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right. A ring chime will play. Then press Square (X on Xbox, Y on Switch).
This will take you to the level select screen, which features the Hidden Palace Zone. The latter stage won’t be available immediately, so here’s a guide to find the stage.
Sonic Origins: How To Find The Hidden Palace Zone In Sonic The Hedgehog 2
This is the fabled Sonic 2 stage that was in the game’s pre-release build. After much fanfare, the level was recreated by Sonic Mania devs Christian Whitehead and Simon Thomley with permission from Sega.
In Act 2 of the Mystic Cave Zone (which you can teleport to using the cheat above), head right and immediately drop off the bridge. Keep to the low ground. Keep doing right until you can go no further, then drop down and make your way past the rotating crates.
Lower the next bridge, jump off the yellow spring that follows and after this you’ll find a pit with a vine over it.
Instead of pulling the vine to lower the bridge, drop into the pit. This will take you to the Hidden Palace Zone.
Sonic Origins: Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles Level Select Code
When the words “Press Button” appear, enter the following: Up, Up, Down, Down, Up, Up, Up, Up. You will hear a ring chime. Then, press a button and move the cursor down to access a hidden Sound Test option. Pick this to enter the Level Select option.
This Level Select also gives you access to new Blue Sphere stages and the five Competition stages (from the original Megadrive version’s multiplayer mode).